CPU Microcode Update (0x3A & 0x12F):

It’s the new BIOS from July. Unfortunately, I can’t find a clear patch note either on my motherboard’s website or on Intel’s site that explains what it actually does. There’s only a generic description about improved stability, but I’d like to know more specifically: does it increase voltage? Lower it? What exactly does it change?

(Lga 1700)

Hi Davu,

Thank you for reaching out to Intel Customer Support regarding your inquiry about the recent BIOS update.

To better address your concerns, could you please provide the exact model of your motherboard? Additionally, if you have experienced any issues with your CPU, please let me know so we can explore potential solutions.

Regarding the BIOS update, Intel has released a new microcode update (0x12F) that supplements the previous 0x12B microcode update. This update aims to improve system conditions that may contribute to Vmin Shift Instability on Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop-powered systems. The update does not alter the root cause determination for the Vmin Shift Instability issue.

Based on testing, Intel has identified no measurable performance impact with the 0x12F microcode update. Intel recommends users ensure they have the latest BIOS updates installed and utilize the Intel Default Settings profile in their BIOS to mitigate Vmin Shift Instability risk.

For more detailed information, you can refer to the following link: Intel Community Discussion on Microcode Update.

If you prefer a faster communication method, please let me know if a phone call would be more convenient for you. I am available to discuss this issue at your earliest convenience and provide further assistance.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience. I look forward to resolving this matter efficiently.

Best regards,

Dean R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Z790 AORUS PRO X WIFI7 Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

This is my motherboard. I’m currently on the May BIOS version, the one where the new microcode was introduced.

I just saw that a new update has been released!

Anyway, yes — I have the Intel Default Settings enabled, and my V-Core stays between 1.2 and 1.3, which is totally safe!

( Anyway, my CPU is doing fine at the moment — I’ve got a 14600K and it’s running really well.)

Ah okay, so it’s not a microcode change made by you — they updated something on their end. Alright then, I’ll see if I can find out more over there. Thanks anyway, the datasheets are a great reference!

Hi Davu,

You’re always welcome. Let me know if I can close this thread if you don’t have any questions.

Best regards,

Dean R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Yes, sure, all good — thanks a lot, talk to you soon